Social Icons

Pages

Monday, August 20, 2018

The Wrong Room

For over 40 years I’ve been an entrepreneur and have absolutely loved it. There’s something about creating a business from scratch, overcoming obstacles, finding ways to grow it, and then finally seeing it reach a successful level that is very satisfying. In my case, I’ve started three lighting companies in three different business sectors, maintenance, engineering, and distribution and through the grace of God (and also some hard work) all three eventually became very successful. Even though all three companies were quite different, all three shared certain “business principles” that were integral to their success. One of the most important principles involves people, or should I say the choices we make about people.

As far back as High School, I realized that the people I associated with were either going to drag me down or lift me up. The smokers, drinkers, and druggies had zero ambition, so I didn’t enjoy their company, and I certainly didn’t learn anything from them. On the other hand, I was also unable to relate to the super smart people because they were just a little too nerdy for me. So instead, I sought out interesting people who had their own unique dreams and goals and were willing to work for them like I knew I was. Little did I know that my decision to seek out the right people back then, would be a guiding principle for the rest of my life, both in business and in personal relationships.

Recently I started a fourth company in a completely different industry. It involves manufacturing a unique product that is sold to companies that build solar parking canopies. I am not familiar with the Solar Industry and I don’t know anyone who is involved in that industry, so I am truly starting from scratch on this one. But one of the first things I will do is find the right people to connect with, people who are intelligent, experienced, and knowledgeable in areas where I am lacking. If I can find the right people to surround myself with, I can find success a lot faster, and probably enjoy the experience a lot more.

I thought about that business principle last night as I was talking to my 19 year old grandson.  We had a "Family Taco Party" for him because he's leaving tomorrow to head back to college. He will be a junior this year and has chosen business as his major, but more importantly, he's at a point in his life where choosing his friend is also going to be one of the most important decisions he will ever make. I told him that I was glad he was taking business classes and that if he ever needed help or advice to please call me. I also gave him a quick bit of unsolicited but highly relevant advice, "When it comes to business, or people, or people in business, the choices you make will determine the path you take." Choose wisely!


If you’re the smartest person in the room, 
you’re in the wrong room.
~ Confucius


I think SpongeBob might be talking about me!



No comments:

Post a Comment