Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Lighting My Fire

The overarching theme of my Monday Messages this year is about finding ways to serve others. I am supposed to be figuring out what gifts I have been blessed with and then use those gifts to help others.  Well, the past two weeks were certainly filled with multiple opportunities, but for some reason most of them involved lighting, or at least lighting up people’s lives a little bit… as well as my own!

1. The first opportunity came when I received an urgent email from a friend that the lights for the Cross on top of Battle Mountain in San Diego were out. He asked me for help, so I grabbed my tools, drove to San Diego and climbed to the top of the mountain. It ended up taking several hours to disassemble the electrical components and troubleshoot the system, but I eventually found a burned wire buried below one of the lighting vaults. By the time I was done, I was hot, tired, sweaty and dirty. But when I stepped back to view the cross with the lights shining brightly, I got this warm feeling inside that’s hard to explain.

2. The second opportunity came when I noticed my neighbor’s hallway lights were burned out. My neighbor only comes out from Scottsdale 4-5 times a year, so when I heard he was coming out that evening I did a quick inspection of his house and noticed quite a few lights out. I didn’t have time to drive to my warehouse in Irvine, so I ran down to Home Depot instead. As I was putting the lights into my truck I noticed the lady parked next to me had a large bag of concrete in her shopping cart and was just standing there looking at it. She appeared pregnant, so I walked over and started to say, “I noticed you’re pregnant and need help”. But then I realized, hey… she might not be pregnant, which would be just like me to open my big mouth. So instead I just asked her if she needed help and she immediately said yes and started glowing with a big smile. So I figured if she was “glowing” then she maybe she was pregnant, but either way, I was once again got that warm, hard to explain feeling inside again.

3. The third opportunity came when my Father-in Law mentioned that an elderly friend of his needed help with the lights in her garage. She is a really sweet lady who has had some serious health issues recently. Then a few months ago her husband passed away, so life has been really hard for her. She lives alone in a house in Mission Viejo, so I grabbed my tools and drove over there. All of the fluorescent lights in her garage were in bad shape, so I replaced them with new T8 lights to save her money on her electric bill. It didn’t take me long to do the work, but it sure did make a difference. She had been wanting to clean out her garage for a long time and now she could finally see again! As I packed up to leave, she asked me what she owed me, and I explained that as a friend of the family, it was simply my pleasure to be of service. About that time she started to cry, and I mean really truly cry, and all I could think of to do was to give her a hug. As I drove away I felt that same warm, hard to explain feeling rising up inside me once again.

Like I mentioned above, it’s hard to explain that mysterious warm feeling that happens whenever you go out of your way to help someone. But maybe it too is related to lighting… lighting my fire!


Wherever a man turns, he can always find someone who needs him.
~ Albert Schweitzer

No comments:

Post a Comment