Social Icons

Pages

Monday, June 13, 2016

Always There

My youngest son has been living in Florida for the past four years. The last time I saw him was two years ago when he came out to California for a brief visit. Since that time it has been really hard to reach him, his phone calls have dropped off and it was becoming obvious he was once again having some serious problems in his life, primarily with alcohol and depression. Then I got a phone call from his girlfriend telling me he had been hospitalized in very serious condition.

As a Father my heart went out to him and I wanted to fly to Florida immediately. But my work schedule and family obligations here at home with my wife and other children made me hesitate. I also hesitated because I knew this was a serious problem that I wouldn’t be able to solve with a hug or some fatherly words of advice. So I went out back and sat down for a minute to pray about it. When I was done, I still didn’t know what to do, but it felt good to unload my worries to God and know He was listening… and that He is always there for me.

Later that day, I told my wife I had made the decision to fly to Florida. She immediately set me up with an airline ticket, rental car and a Hotel room, and a loving supportive hug. I was only in Florida for 2 ½ days but from the moment I saw my son until the moment I left, I knew I had made the right decision. His problems are huge but so is our love for each other. We talked for hours about little things, big things, good times we had in the past and good times yet to come. When it came time for me to leave he hugged me and wouldn’t let go. He kept saying, “I love you Dad” and kept fighting back tears as I repeated back to him, “I love you too.”

It was late in the evening and really dark as I drove back to my Hotel. When I got there I packed my bag because I had an early 7am flight the next morning. I set the alarm on my phone and then sat my watch, bracelet and phone on the nightstand. I had trouble falling asleep but at some point I woke up, glanced over at my watch and saw that my alarm never went off and it was already 6am! My heart started pounding like crazy because I knew I would never make my flight. I grabbed my watch and phone, threw on my clothes, flew down three flights of stairs, jumped in my car and raced to the airport. I was in such a panic I missed the on ramp to the freeway and had to make an illegal U-turn. As I clutched the steering wheel and sped down the freeway I noticed my black rubber bracelet (the one that has “I Am Second” on it to remind me to put God first) was missing from my arm. In my panic and because the room was dark, I didn’t see it and forgot to put it on.

When I got to the Rental Car return area, I threw my keys at the attendant and yelled, “Which way to Terminal One?” He gave me directions for a short cut down an “employees only” staircase. But when I got to the security check-in area, my phone wouldn’t pick up Wi-Fi, so I couldn’t show my boarding pass. The TSA Agent wouldn’t let me through, so I had to run upstairs to the ticket window, get a printed out boarding pass, and then race back down to the security line. I finally made it onto the plane with only one minute to spare.

As I sat down in my seat and tried to catch my breath, I couldn’t believe I had made it onto the flight. I decided to say a quick prayer of thanks, not just for making the flight, but more importantly for the fact that God had gone with me to Florida… and was always there with me every step of the way. As I stared down at my folded hands, all of a sudden I noticed that my black rubber bracelet was back on my arm. How did that happen! I thought about it and I’m positive I didn’t have it on in the car because I distinctly remember looking down at my right arm and it wasn’t there. So how in the heck did it suddenly re-appear on my arm?

I know what you’re thinking… That crazy Joe was in a panic and he probably just didn’t see it, so that bracelet was probably always there. Right? Maybe. But one thing I know for sure… God is always there!

Peace on the outside comes from knowing God on the inside.
~ Anonymous 

No comments:

Post a Comment