Social Icons

Pages

Monday, February 29, 2016

Coincidence?

I have four children that I love very much and I thank God every day for blessing me with the privilege of being their father. Three of my children were born with a high degree of intelligence, so at this point they all three have college degrees, good jobs, a strong work ethic and a strong faith. They bring me such great joy and happiness. But I also have one child who struggled in school and continues to struggle in life and it makes me extremely sad. We can try hard to be good parents and give it our best effort, but sometimes it’s just not going to be enough.

A little more than two weeks ago my son’s troubles were weighing extremely heavy on my heart. I had just found out that he had been hospitalized overnight for alcohol issues and although he was out of the hospital, his prognosis didn’t sound good. So on Tuesday February 9th, as I was driving down Alicia Parkway in Mission Viejo taking my wife to her Pilate’s class, I noticed a small church with people out front holding up signs. One sign said, “Had a tough day?” Another sign read, “Got 60 seconds?” And another sign offered, “Drive through prayer today, 3-5:00pm.” My wife looked over at me in the car and said, “After you drop me off, why don’t you go back to that church for a few minutes. You need it, it can’t hurt and it might help!”

I thought about what she said and told her I wasn’t going to do it…But I did it anyway. I pulled up into the driveway of the church next to a small white tent and a couple (Pat and Steve) approached my driver’s side window. I told them about my son and how he was trying so hard to change his life. I told them I feared he wasn't going to make it and then I lost it and broke down in front of them. Together they reached out and took my hands and they both said a short heartfelt prayer for my son... and for me. Although my tears never did stop I somehow managed to thank them both for their help and support before I drove away. It was really hard to share my family life and personal concerns about my son with complete strangers, but at the same time it felt so good to give it to God. And like my wife said, it can’t hurt and it might help!

On Friday, February 26th, I received a message from my Son. It was short and sweet but oh so great to read. “Hi Dad, Sorry I haven’t texted in a few days, but good news. 16 days sober!! One day at a time.”

Maybe it was simply a coincidence that 16 days earlier I was at the “Drive Through Prayer” Church. Or maybe it wasn’t! 
Mission Hills "Drive Through Prayer" Program

Joe and David

God hears our prayers even when we can’t find the words to say them.
~ Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment