Social Icons

Pages

Monday, April 6, 2015

No Spring Chicken

My wife and I haven’t had a real vacation in over four years. So with our 20th wedding anniversary coming up the first week of April and my 60th birthday coming up the second week of April, we decided it was time to head for the island of Kauai for two weeks to celebrate both of those momentous occasions. Plus we truly needed some time to relax and forget about the stress of our busy lives.
 
We spent the first two days at a Marriott Resort near the airport.  Immediately upon arriving the humidity coupled with the warm Hawaiian sunshine convinced us that we had made a good decision. About the only problem with going on vacation was that we were leaving all of our children behind. You know how it is when you’re a parent…it’s hard not to worry about your children even when they are fully grown. Just as I was thinking about our kids and hoping they were all okay, there was a knock at the door and a bellman dropped off a chilled bottle of champagne and an anniversary card from our thoughtful kids. What a nice surprise!
 
After two days we headed north to Princeville where we rented a small house on the Makai Golf Course. That is where we are right now as I write this Monday Message and it’s an absolutely beautiful place to relax. We are overlooking the expansive lush green of the second fairway but we can also see the bright blue ocean off in the distance.
There are birds singing all day long and a rooster crows loudly each morning.  We don’t even mind the noise because it sounds like we are living in the jungle, which come to think of it, we are! Late in the afternoon on Easter Sunday I took a walk around the outside of the house to check it out and I accidentally surprised a mother Hen and her two baby chicks. She got scared and started running away, squawking at her little chicks to follow her. But the little chicks kept falling behind, so the mother hen would have to stop, run back, squawk at the little chicks again, and then continue on. I didn’t mean to scare them but it was interesting to watch that mother hen go totally into protection mode for her little baby chicks. Again I was reminded of what it’s like to be a parent who loves and cares for their children.
 
As I walked back into the house a thought flashed in my head. While Easter is traditionally a celebration of Jesus rising from the tomb, it’s also a great time to celebrate the fact that God not only proved His love for his son Jesus, he proved his love for all of His children at the same time…including us. That means that even though we may grow up and we may grow old, we will always have a heavenly parent who is in full protection mode for us at all times. I’m not happy about turning 60 because it means “I ain’t no spring chicken any more”, but I am happy that I have a heavenly father who may squawk at me if I get out of line, but also watch over me with love and compassion all the days of my life.

Why did the Chicken cross the road?
Because her kids were on the other side!
 
Every evening I turn my worries over to God.
He's going to be up all night anyway.
                                           ~Mary C. Crowley                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment