Social Icons

Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

Mending


Yesterday morning while I was reading my Max Lucado Study Bible, I came upon the passage,
 
“With God there are no accidents. Only incidents designed to draw us closer to Him.”
 
It was nearly 2 years ago that I first read that passage. And it was no coincidence that it was also the same day that I ran over and nearly killed an elderly Chinese woman. Coming across that page brought back some very traumatic memories but it also got me thinking…What did it really mean?
 
I will never forget that day. For the first time in years I forgot to read my Bible in the morning and then I went out and had an accident in my truck. When I came home and opened my Bible to the page I was on, I found that message and truly believed it was a sign from God to “draw nearer to Him”. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think God had anything to do with the accident. The accident was totally and entirely my fault. What God did was all good. First, He made sure neither one of Mrs. Chen’s legs were broken even though my truck came to rest on top of them. Second, He healed her and helped her to find new joy in life and start painting again. Third, He got my attention and a renewed dedication on my part to draw nearer to Him.
 
But there is more to the story that I have never shared with anyone. For three days after the accident I was completely and utterly distraught. I couldn’t eat, couldn’t sleep, and was sure Mrs. Chen was going to die. I felt so bad I can’t even describe it. On the evening of the third day I couldn’t take it anymore. I went into a back bedroom and knelt down by my daughter’s bed with my head in my hands. The tears started flowing and I couldn’t stop them. My body was shaking and I felt like dying. It was then that I told God the truth, that I couldn’t handle this problem…that the pain was too great…and I begged Him to help me. Then I put it all in His hands.
 
Almost immediately I felt better. I know this sounds crazy, but I had this image in my mind of Jesus kneeling next to me, with His arm around me, telling me everything was going to be okay because I chose to trust Him. My feeling of hopelessness was instantly gone and I realized for the first time in my life that I have never been alone, that God has always been right there next to me, simply waiting for me to reach out to Him in faith and trust.

So maybe the real message was not just to “draw nearer to God”. But in doing so to put my total trust and faith in Him and realize that no matter what happens… He will always be there for me!

Broken things can become blessed things if you let God do the mending.
~ Anonymous


No comments:

Post a Comment