Social Icons

Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

Tears of the Heart

Sometimes going to the Dentist can bring a person to tears, but last week just the opposite happened. When I went to see my Dentist, I actually made him cry. It surprised me because I didn’t mean to do that, I just wanted to share a story with him. I guess it was a story that touched his heart.
 
If you have been reading my Monday Messages for a while then you know the story of Mrs. Pao Chi Chen. She is the elderly Chinese woman that I ran over with my truck in a parking lot last year. She was hospitalized for months and nearly died, so it was one the worst things that ever happened to me in my life (and to her in her life). And yet God showed me how it was also one of the best things that ever happened….for both of us. I still see Mrs. Chen every week. We go for walks, or out to lunch or to local museums and have a deep friendship that will never end. She was lonely and needed a friend…and I needed to be reminded not to take life for granted.  
 
There was a singularly defining moment for me in the Mrs. Chen story and it had to do with the Bible. I had been reading the Bible faithfully every morning for years, but failed to read it that fateful Friday. I don’t know why I didn’t read it, but as soon as I got home from the hospital I opened it to the page where I left off the day before and read, “With God there are no accidents. There are only incidents designed to draw us closer to Him”. Reading those words brought a flood of tears from my heart that night as I prayed for God’s help to heal Mrs. Chen and to heal my broken heart as well.
 
Obviously God answered my prayers so that is why I sometimes share my “Mrs. Chen Story” with people that I meet. I don’t share it with everyone because it’s deeply personal and still hard to talk about, but when the moment feels right I will sometimes speak out in the hope that I can touch another person’s heart in a good way and possibly bring them closer to God as well. I don’t mean to make them cry but sometimes tears are the best words a heart can speak!


The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears.
                                                         ~ John Vance Cheney                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment