Social Icons

Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

A few days ago, on the morning of New Year’s Eve, something woke me up. It sounded like a voice, but I’m not sure what it was. My wife was still sleeping so I stayed in bed longer than usual and thought about all the crazy things that happened to me in 2012. There has never been a year in my life in which things changed so much… and more life lessons were laid upon me.
 
 
There were several important events that occurred, such as my oldest daughter starting Chapman Law School, my youngest daughter graduating College and securing a job as a Paralegal at a Law Firm, my oldest son announcing that his wife was pregnant with their second child, and my youngest son moving to Florida for a new job opportunity that has worked out well. So there was a lot to celebrate, but there were also three life changing events that happened that can only be described as very good, very bad and very ugly!
 
 
The Good…..
My wife and I decided to sell our home. It was a beautiful, huge, three story home with gorgeous views and an acre of land. But with our kids grown and our needs changing, it seemed like a good time to down size. We loved that house because we built it ourselves and lived there over 10 years, but we decided a change might be exciting. After we sold it, we put 90% of our belongings in storage and moved to a tiny beach cottage. We are living simply now and have never been happier nor more in love. Living simply really puts things in the proper perspective!

Living simply at our little Beach Cottage
The Bad…..
One Friday in July, while driving through a busy, crowded parking lot, I accidentally ran over an elderly 84 year old Chinese woman. It was the most traumatic moment of my life. I went with her to the hospital and continued to visit her and pray for her daily. Over and over again I asked God to heal her. She was hospitalized for months but finally recovered and was released in October. The whole thing has been amazing for two reasons, 1) She has never once blamed me for the accident or had a harsh word for me and 2) We have become very close friends. I visit her every single week and take her for walks, and in return she paints me amazing pictures. I guess that poem about Footprints in the Sand is really true. “During your times of trial and suffering, it is then that I will carry you.”

Joe and his special friend....Mrs. Chen


The Ugly…..
In my wholesale lighting supply business there were three key people who had basically been with me since the start. Late in the year I had to release two of those people and it was really hard for me to do because I cared for both people very much. But I had to put that aside and do what was best for the business. The amazing thing is that we hired three new people to take their place and the new people are awesome, which has resulted in our company setting a record for sales in the fourth quarter. I guess making ugly, tough decisions isn’t ever easy, but not making decisions.... guarantees failure!

My awesome staff at Lighting Supply, Inc.

All three events were life changing for me and at the same time......they were important “life lessons” for me to learn. When I finally got out of bed…. I realized whose voice it was that woke me up!
 
                                                   Everything that occurs in your life is
                                                  part o God's   plan to wake you up.    
                                                                           ~ Leonard Jacobson
 
 
 

1 comment: