Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Great-Full

I looked at the putt and tried to visualize it going in the hole. I was above the hole, at least 25’ away, with a slight downhill break right to left so I knew this wasn’t going to be easy. I backed away, then walked completely around the putt line, checking it one more time. If I could make this birdie putt I would be even par through 7 holes and off to a great start on my last round here at Makai golf course. 

I was at the end of my vacation, and I desperately wanted my last round to be my best round. I took a deep breath, moved the putter back slowly, and released a really smooth stroke. The ball started on a great line, picked up speed, took the slight break I needed and then somehow clipped the edge of the hole without going in. Instead, it continued on another 6’ downhill before finally stopping.

Oh man did that hurt! I really wanted to make that putt and could feel myself getting super angry inside. So what did I do next? I took very little time over the comeback putt, left it short, and managed to turn a birdie opportunity into a bogie. I hate to admit it, but my blood was boiling as I walked towards the #8 tee box.

However, behind the 8th hole tee box is one of the prettiest spots on the entire golf course. A place with perhaps the most beautiful view of the pacific ocean you’ll ever see. In fact, every evening at sunset, the golf course offers a special “Hanalei Sunset Tour” that finishes at this location, which is on a cliff 200’ above the shimmering blue pacific with Turtle Cove off to the north and the infamous Queen’s Bath to the south. Author and sportswriter, Dan Jenkins, once wrote, “A Hanalei sunset would awaken the soul of a Mummy”.

But I was so upset I didn’t even think about the gorgeous view behind me. Instead, I grabbed a tee out of my pocket and pounded it into the ground. But as I bent over to place my ball on the tee, I got a weird sensation. I felt like someone was watching me. I took two practice swings, but couldn’t shake the feeling and finally turned around towards the ocean. I was startled to see a man in a motorized wheelchair staring at me. He was 50 yards away, near the edge of the cliff, staring straight at me. I stood there watching him watching me, and without saying a word, he simply turned his wheelchair back around to face the ocean.

I didn’t move for several minutes, but my mind was racing. Here I am, totally healthy, playing golf on one of the most beautiful courses in the world on a bright sunshiny day… and I have somehow managed to become angry. Are you kidding me! I suddenly felt like a completely ungrateful jerk. Ungrateful for all the good in my life when so many things could so easily be bad. I took a breath, relaxed my body, and decided instead to be grateful for all that God has blessed me with. I don’t know who the man in the wheelchair was, but I am grateful to him as well, for helping me visualize my life for what it really is… great and full!


If we were crippled for one day each year, how we would enjoy the other three hundred and sixty four.
~ Isaac Asimov


No comments:

Post a Comment