Social Icons

Pages

Monday, April 3, 2023

Hold On Tight

It seems like just yesterday that we met. I don’t know if it was her captivating smile, cute dimples, or infectious personality that attracted me to her so much. But what I do know is that when I fell in love with her, I fell hard!

She warned me, “Once you kiss me, you will never stop”, and she was right. And the moment we told each other how we truly felt, we were constantly together, never ever wanting to be apart, holding hands, holding on tight. I think that both of us were so thrilled to have found true love, that once we found it, we wanted to make sure that we didn’t lose it. And maybe that’s why after nearly three decades, we are still madly in love with each other, still holding hands ever so tightly, and still never want to be apart.

Yesterday was our 28th wedding anniversary. So I made sure there was a fresh rose on her nightstand, an anniversary card propped up against it, and an anniversary present hidden in the back of my truck. The present was an issue though. After 28 years, I feel like I’ve given her just about every creative gift that I could come up with. So this year was a struggle, until I overheard her on the phone. She was telling a friend about her new charity venture that involves creating suitcases filled with clothes for Foster Kids. The tremendous excitement and passion in her voice fired off a light bulb in my head. So this year, instead of buying her a gift for herself, I decided to give her a gift for her charity, a suitcase filled with clothes and toiletries for a young child. I hoped it would be both a show of love for her and support for her passion and I lucked out. She loved it… and held on to me tight for a very long time.

When you first fall in love, it can take your breath away and give you goosebumps all over your body. Later on as you share life’s struggles, sort through problems, and enjoy good times together, love will often mature and create a special, long lasting bond that can’t be broken. That’s how I feel about my wife these days. It might be because 20 years ago I nearly lost her to a life threatening lung disorder, or it might be because she has always had my back when I needed it most, or it might just be those cute dimples that pop up when she smiles. All I know for sure is that life can be a bumpy road, so no matter what... I’m gonna forever hold on tight!

Speaking of bumpy roads, as I drove to a job site yesterday, I called my wife just to tell her I love her and miss her. Sounds silly right! But as I heard her say “Love You” when she hung up the phone, a lighted traffic sign on the side of the intersection switched to say, “Love You”.  Love can be crazy right!


Love… is the perfect bond of unity.
Colossians 3:14


No comments:

Post a Comment