Social Icons

Pages

Monday, February 7, 2022

Like Sand Through an Hourglass

I took off early this morning to go start a large Pole Inspection project in Laguna Niguel. As I was driving down the freeway my truck is heading straight, but the people around me are all speeding and weaving and driving like maniacs. They are all over the place, and so are my thoughts.

I keep thinking about how I always have way too much to do! Besides having a solid load of work to do this month, our landlord doubled our rent, so we have to move, which is never easy. We need to find a moving company, set up the new utilities, arrange for new internet and cable, put in a change of mailing address, etc. etc. At the same time, my truck needs a wash and an oil change, the ice maker on the fridge is broken, and I can’t see well because I need a new pair of glasses, but don’t have time to go see an eye doctor.

Sorry…I don’t want to sound like some weak whiner or complainer, so I start to focus on all the things that are right in my life. That helps, but it doesn’t lighten the busyness of my life when there is always so much to do. Every day is filled with so many responsibilities and concerns, and honestly it can be overwhelming at times. I have a feeling you have plenty of days like that too.

And that got me thinking… What if we were to picture life like an hourglass? Imagine that there is an hourglass in front of you. At the top is a bowl connected to a bowl at the bottom by a tube so thin that only one grain of sand can pass through it at a time. That is a true picture of life, even on a super-busy day. The crowded hours can only come to you one moment at a time, one grain of sand at a time. That is the only way they can come. The day may bring many tasks, many problems, many stresses, but always… they come in single file. So handle them one at a time by remembering the hourglass, the grains of sand dropping one by one.


Like sand through an hourglass, 
so are the days of our lives.
~ from the daytime TV drama "Days of Our Lives"



No comments:

Post a Comment