Social Icons

Pages

Monday, July 6, 2020

A Test of Tolerance


It’s actually ironic. The main reason we moved from our small beach house was because we had a really bad neighbor who held loud, obnoxious parties all the time. I say ironic because we moved to a nicer home that is a little larger and has a really great view… but it turns out that the house next door is a weekly beach rental home and there’s a party going on almost every single night during the summer.

The house next door is a huge 3-story that mainly rents to big families and/or large groups. So that’s why it gets pretty noisy, but I know it won’t ever be as bad as our previous neighbor, so I am trying my best to be tolerant. Unfortunately, with the Coronavirus, my wife and I are stuck at home most of the time, so having problematic neighbors sure can dampen our spirits at times.

But we are trying hard to maintain a good attitude. This past week, a huge family with 10 children under the age of 12 moved in next door. The sidewalk between our two houses was so filled with kayaks, bicycles, fishing gear, boogie boards, and numerous varieties of kid’s scooters, that It was almost impossible to get to our front door. But you know what, I like kids. They don’t usually drink too much, or cuss me out, or party all night long. In fact, most of the time they are pretty darn cute and entertaining. Plus, that many kids will kind of help keep all the parents in check at the same time!

So, you know how kids always say the darndest things. Well, one little boy who couldn’t have been more than 8, walked up to me on Friday and asked, “Hey Mister, why are you always wearing that thing on your face?” Fortunately, I took a moment to think about my answer. Inside I was irritated that for months now, none of the adults next door ever wear a mask when they go outside or on walks in public. I mean, the point is… aren’t we supposed to try to protect each other when we go out in public? Anyway, I looked at the little boy and explained, “I am wearing this mask because there’s a virus going around that can make people sick and I don’t want to get it… or give it to someone else.” He seemed a bit puzzled by my answer, but then he smiled and rode away on his scooter.

On Saturday morning, the same little guy approached me again. He said, “Hey Mister, my Dad says he doesn’t wear a mask because they don’t make one that fits him.” Wow! That answer really shocked me! I am a Dad of four, and a granddad of 6, and I can’t imagine lying to any one of my kids because I’m too lazy, or too cheap, or too arrogant to purchase a $3.00 mask. I didn’t say anything to the kid, but I sure did feel like having a little man-to-man talk with that Dad.

The family next door left on Sunday and I never did have a talk with that Dad. In my head, I kept telling myself to be tolerant of others, and that people have a right to their own opinions, and that I need to be respectful. But in my heart, I wondered how that Dad would feel if his carelessness cost him the life of his child, or his wife, or his own father? Tolerance is necessary, but maybe silence is not always golden.



No comments:

Post a Comment