Social Icons

Pages

Monday, April 6, 2020

Bright Spots

It was 20 years ago that my wife first started having trouble breathing. It seemed minor at first, but then it gradually got worse until one day she collapsed to the floor struggling to breathe. I rushed her to the hospital and after undergoing a lot of tests, she had laparoscopic surgery to repair a genetic lung disorder that created “blips” (small tears) in her lungs.

The surgery seemed to work, but a year later her lung issues came back, and they came back with a vengeance. I must have rushed her to the hospital at least 8 times and twice I had to call 911 for help. Unfortunately, the doctors couldn’t figure out what to do. Finally, in 2002, it got so bad that she ended up at the Mission Hospital ICU. That’s when our prayers were answered thanks to an older surgeon, Dr. Chino, who said he knew what to do. After the operation, my wife had to stay in the hospital for at least two weeks, so it was a super stressful time for us. With 4 children to take care of and a wife that may or may not recover, I found myself struggling to cope. But I started praying every day and somehow came up with the idea to start writing a journal. At first it was about how much I loved my wife, but as I wrote a story each day, it became life lessons that I could share with my kids. For 12 straight days I stayed at the hospital, sleeping on the floor next to her bed, holding her hand, praying for her to recover, and writing stories to take my mind off my worries. My wife survived thanks to Dr. Chino, my kids survived thanks to our in-laws, and I survived thanks to my faith and something that you might now recognize as Monday Messages.

Remembering that time got me thinking… We are in a super stressful time right now. Most of us are trapped in our homes, unable to visit friends, unable to go to work, unable to go to school, unable to socialize with anyone outside the people we live with. We are tired, bored and scared… and that fear we feel is valid because we don’t know what the future holds. But if I learned anything from that traumatic period I went through with my wife’s health problems, it’s that there will always be bright spots even in the darkest moments. Yesterday, for example, I wrote page one… of my first ever… full length book.


We must embrace trouble and pain… 
and burn them as fuel for our journey.
~ Kenji Miyazawa

No comments:

Post a Comment