Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

The Greatest Blessing


I’ve heard it said that managing people is the hardest job there is. Having owned businesses and managed people myself for over 40 years, I would definitely have to agree. But it’s not that people are hard to manage. It’s that people are the most important asset of any business and therefore, they should always be treated with respect and kindness (which can get a little tricky at times). So, if managing people is hard, then the hardest people management job I can think of… is parenting.

I grant you mothers have the hardest management job of all. Not only do they have to give birth to, and then manage their children, they also have to manage their husbands, which most women will say is nothing but hard work. But fathers don’t have it easy either, which got me thinking. What is the role of the father, what should his management style be, and how do I fit into that picture?

If you’re reading this Monday Message, then you probably know me personally. And if you do, then you probably know that I have 4 children, which definitely accords me the title of “Father” and all the corresponding sweat, smiles, sadness, and joy that go with that title. But what you may not know is that I am not your traditional father. I adopted a newborn baby when I was 29 and then married a woman with three young children when I was 39. It’s not that I don’t like sex. I do, very much! (Maybe I’m just not very good at it!) But that’s okay, because I still ended up with four wonderful children that I love and enjoy very much. All four of my children are grown now and most of them have children of their own, but my role as a father hasn’t changed. So back to my question, what is the role of the father and what should his management style be?

The Role of a Father
Be Loving and Affectionate
    Let them know you love them, not just with your words, but also with your actions.
Be Strong and Supportive          
    Men are stronger for a reason, so extend your strength and support and always have their back.
Be Active and Involved          
   Get off that couch, even if it's the 4th quarter of the big game, and get personally involved.
Be a Provider and Protector
    Your priorities start with providing for their needs and end with protecting them at all costs.

Some people might say that I am not a real Dad. But I know I’ve tried hard to fill the fatherhood role listed above and be as much of a blessing to my children as possible. Funny thing is, the greatest blessing of all is the one they have given me!

Just some of the many Thrailkill kids and grandkids

My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. 
Mother would come out and say, “You’re tearing up the grass.” 
My Dad would always reply, “We’re not raising grass. We’re raising boys!” 
~ Harmon Killebrew 



No comments:

Post a Comment