Social Icons

Pages

Monday, March 25, 2019

In the Blink of an Eye


(1962) Even though the teacher moved me up to the front of the class, I can’t see the chalkboard very well. My Mom says I have to get fitted for glasses tomorrow and I know all the kids in my second-grade class are going to make fun of me for sure and call me “Four-Eyes”. My life is over!

(1967) Junior High is turning out to be a better than I thought it was going to be! First, there are two really cute girls that sit behind me in class. Bonnie Blanton and Beverly Brumley are the “BB” (beautiful bombshell) girls, at least that’s what I call them. Second, my Mom says I am getting fitted for contact lenses tomorrow. She says my Aunt got a job at an optometrist place and now we can get a discount. Maybe if I lose the glasses, I’ll finally get the guts to go talk to the BB girls!

(1971) I got my driver’s license last week. So, Saturday night I was able to load my motorcycle into my truck and drive to Elsinore Racetrack on my own. I had a great night of racing and made it into the finals. Unfortunately, I got some dirt in my eyes and my hard contact lenses started really bothering me. As I entered the hairpin curve at the top of the straightaway on the final lap, I couldn’t see at all and lost control, flying off the track at 60 mph. I hate these stupid hard contact lenses, but now that I have a part time job at a gas station, I am going to save up to get a new kind called “soft contact lenses”.

(1995) I can’t believe how gorgeous my fiancĂ© is! Her dress, her hair, her makeup, everything about her is breathtakingly beautiful. I always hoped I would get married to the girl of my dreams before the age of 40 and now it’s finally happening. I promised myself I wouldn’t cry today as I read my vows, but my emotions are getting the best of me, and my contact lenses aren’t helping either. I am trying hard to blink back the tears, but as I finish my last vow to her, I can feel the tears start falling from my eyes.

(2001) I feel really blessed the way things have gone this past year. My wife is awesome, my kids are healthy, and my business is finally booming here in Orange County. About six months ago, I had a little extra money, so I decided to ditch my contact lenses and get Lasik surgery. I was a little nervous about it, but my Dad said he would give me a ride and take me home after the surgery. My Dad is such a great guy. He’s always been there for me, steady and consistent, my rock and my hero. Unfortunately, tomorrow is his memorial service and I can’t stop crying. I won’t cry at the ceremony, I’ll be strong for my Mom, but despite my great new Lasik vision, it’s hard to visualize what the world is going to look like… without my Dad.

(2019) I golfed yesterday with my buddy Stacy and got frustrated several times because I can’t follow the flight of the ball. It’s been 18 years since I had Lasik and I’m at the point where I now need reading glasses for close up and a second pair for seeing far away. I remember thinking my life was over back when I was 7 years old and had to get those stupid glasses. Now I’m 63 and have to get those stupid glasses once again and I’m wondering the same thing. Is my life truly over now? I don’t know. But somehow my life seems to have gone full circle… in the blink of an eye!



As each day comes with fresh morning dew, 
so does my gratitude itself renew. 
~ Joe Thrailkill 

No comments:

Post a Comment