Social Icons

Pages

Monday, April 3, 2017

Criticism and Commitment

Seven years ago, I made a commitment to try to write an inspirational message every week. My goal was to remind people about the important things in life like faith, family, honesty, and integrity, but I also hoped I would be able use my faith and life experiences to draw people nearer to God. I look at it as one small way of giving back for all the blessings I’ve received in my life. However, it can be very difficult to come up with a good story every week and sometimes I struggle. Even worse, sometimes I’ll receive harsh criticism about my messages that makes me want to quit. But when I make a commitment, it’s like giving my word, so I do my best to stick to it.

Speaking of commitments, on Wednesday my wife and I celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary. I took the day off from work to spend it with her (because I know how important spending time together is to her) and she surprised me in a very special way. She asked me to go for a walk up to the top of Palisades Hill, which has a towering view of the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island. It’s a pretty long walk but I wasn’t about to object. As we approached the top of Palisades Hill we came to a gazebo on a small look-out point where tourists can view the ocean. I stopped before we got there because a man was already standing there enjoying the view. She laughed and said that’s not just some man, that’s our friend Don (who is a pastor) and if it’s okay with you I would like to renew our vows today with this beautiful view that overlooks our little beach house by the ocean.

It was a wonderful surprise that I will never forget. Don even brought champagne and we toasted our friendship as well as our marriage. Since Don knows us so well and knows how committed we are to each other, he brought some special vows that he wrote for us that were perfect. Some commitments are hard to keep but I have to say my commitment to love, honor and cherish my wife is the easiest commitment I have ever made.

So this message is about making commitments and sticking to them. Whether it’s your marriage vows, your responsibilities at work, or writing a Monday Message, a commitment is a promise, a promise do your best each and every day. If you stick to it, you will become a towering example to all those around you… that no amount of harsh criticism can ever tear down!
View of the Ocean from the top of Palisades Hill

Commitment is a big part of what I am and what I believe. 
How committed are you to winning? 
How committed are you to being a good friend? 
To being trustworthy? To being successful? 
How committed are you to being a good father, teammate, role model? 
There's that moment every morning when you look in the 
mirror and ask, “Are you committed, or are you not? 
 ~ Lebron James 

No comments:

Post a Comment