Social Icons

Pages

Monday, March 20, 2017

Karma Chain

Maybe I’m different than a lot of guys, but I actually like going to the grocery store sometimes. I know it can be a pain in the butt but I enjoy helping my wife and I also enjoy picking out great snacks to eat during the week. In fact, I find going to the grocery store can be an enlightening experience because there are all types of people there, for all different types of reasons, forming a basic microcosm of society in general.

Last week I had to go to the Ralphs in San Clemente by myself and as I drove there I listened to the news on the radio. Most of it was bad. Actually, all of it was bad, including robberies in Beverly Hills, dui accidents that injured people, and the innocent death of a child hit by a stray bullet. It made we wonder how people can be so heartless. I was glad to get to the store and not have to listen to the news anymore. When I was ready to check out I had a lot of items in my shopping cart and there was an older lady coming up behind me with only a few items, so I offered to let her go in front of me. She nodded her head and mumbled something but I couldn’t understand her. As she stepped in front of me I noticed that her clothes were dirty and her hair was a mess and that she kept mumbling to herself as she sat her basket down. It was obvious that she was a homeless person and not doing very well.

When the cashier asked her to pay, the homeless lady fumbled with several credit cards but couldn’t get any to work. This went on for about 5 minutes but the cashier was patient and politely kept telling her that her credit cards didn’t work. After about 10 minutes the cashier said, “Don’t worry about it. I’ve got you covered”. The elderly lady said thank you several times, and then kept on mumbling as she grabbed her bag and shuffled out the door.

When I was checking out I told the cashier that what she did was really nice and I asked her how much the bill was. The cashier said, “It was only $20.00. I’ve seen her around before and I guess I just kind of feel bad for her.” The cashier also said, “Maybe it will bring me some good Karma.” When she finished checking me out, I handed her a $10.00 bill and said, “Let me split it with you. I wouldn’t mind having some of that Karma stuff myself.” The cashier laughed and said that was nice of me and accepted my help. As the bag boy finished putting my groceries in my cart, I heard the lady behind me say, “Here’s another $10.00. I want a piece of that Karma too.” I had to laugh at the chain reaction going on and I’m pretty sure I smiled to myself all the way home as I listened to music… instead of the news!

By the way, if you look up the definition of Karma, you will find it is a Buddhist belief that means a person’s actions and conduct can influence their destiny. Well, I’m not Buddhist, but maybe they should modify the meaning to include… A person’s actions and conduct can also influence those around them!
How people treat you is their Karma. How you react, is yours.
~ Wayne Dyer 

No comments:

Post a Comment