Social Icons

Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

The Only True Shelter

I woke up early on the morning of New Year’s Day to the sound of raindrops splashing outside my window. My wife was still sleeping, so I walked ever so quietly past the kitchen towards the sliding glass doors that face the ocean. As I opened the doors and peered out, the sun was not quite up yet so the sky was still dark and the ocean a dreary dull gray. The rain was slowly dripping off the roof line creating a gloomy image in stark contrast to the normally beautiful blue ocean view we are blessed with.

Standing there, looking out at the depressing cold gray view, I found myself wishing that it wasn’t raining, that it wasn’t cold, and that it wasn’t winter time. I admit I’ve never liked rain. When it rains, I can’t play golf, I can’t play baseball, I can’t jog, paddle board or ride my bike. It even makes going to work difficult because as I’m sure you are aware, nobody in Southern California can drive properly when it rains. But as I stood there grumbling about the weather and wishing the rain would stop, I realized I was being selfish. We need this rain to help offset the terrible drought we have had for such a long time. So while it might not be good for me personally, it is good for all of us in the big scheme of things.

You know that old saying, “Into every life a little rain must fall”. Well I don’t think that old saying is really about rain. I think it’s about all the different struggles we face in life and how we truly need those problems to shape us and mold us into a stronger, better version of ourselves, where our faith is tested and hopefully proven. So as I’m standing there staring out at the rain, I thought about how it’s a brand new year and a chance for me to make a fresh start to become the best person I can be. I immediately changed my attitude and decided I should go for a bike ride despite the rain. I just need to put on a helmet, or a hat, or a coat with a hoodie. Or better yet, I’ll mount an umbrella onto my handlebars and if the rain gets too bad, I’ll just find shelter and wait it out. And that’s when it hit me. The only true shelter in life is faith! And if we have faith we can face any storm, any struggle, any time, any where!

Adversity is like a strong storm. It tears away from us all but the things 
that cannot be torn, so that we may see ourselves as we really are. 
~ Arthur Golden 

No comments:

Post a Comment