Social Icons

Pages

Monday, November 21, 2016

Why on Earth?

Thanksgiving is just around the corner! So, I’ve been thinking about all the things I am thankful for and how I could wrap that theme into a cool Monday Message. I even went as far as to make a list of 10 things I’m thankful for and shared it with my wife. But as I thought about being thankful, a question came to mind. If I am truly thankful, then what am I going to do about it? Which led to how can I give back for all that has been given to me? Which then led to the biggest question of all, “What truly is my purpose in life?”

So I figured I would take my question to an expert. "Lord, I am sorry to bother you but I have a question, Why am I here Lord? I know that I am uniquely made and I appreciate that You blessed me with a life, but I don’t totally know for sure why I’m here? When you created us it’s obvious you wanted us to not only live a life here on earth, but also to create more life on earth or you wouldn’t have given us the ability to multiply...and multiply we have! But that can’t be our sole purpose. Can it?”

As I pondered that question, a Facebook message popped up on my phone. When the message showed up I figured it was obviously God answering my question, right? But actually, it turned out to be a message and a photo about a friend of mine that was posted by his son. It said very simply, yet very eloquently….

“So my dad goes from surfing 20 foot waves in Indonesia, to winning multiple championships in his baseball league, to now playing lead guitar in his first gig coming up at Thanksgiving… all while being one of the best financial advisers in California. What can’t he do??? Love ya, Dad!


It’s not unusual for a parent to love their child and be proud of them. But it is rare that a child will express their pride and love for a parent so openly. When I saw that message the answer to life’s biggest question became obvious. “Why on earth are we here on earth? To love each other!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!


There is no surprise more magical than the surprise 
of being loved. It is God’s finger on man’s shoulder.
~ Charles Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment