Social Icons

Pages

Monday, July 11, 2016

Double Vision

In my last Monday Message, I wrote about how I’ve been going through some really tough times lately. Well, I wish I could report that things have gotten better, but actually things have gotten a lot worse, including having to make a 911 call two days ago to have my Mom rushed to the Hospital. What’s that quote from Mother Theresa, “I know God won’t give us more than we can handle, I just wish he didn’t trust me so much!” Well, I guess that pretty much sums up how I’m feeling at the moment!

However, I’ve always been a positive person so I keep trying to focus on the positive and be thankful for the blessings I do have. And while doing that, it occurred to me that one of the greatest blessings a man can have is a wife who loves him and supports him… even in the darkest moments. (By the way, if I am so great at “lighting”, then I probably shouldn’t be having any dark moments... right? Sorry…that’s a little “lighting” humor, but at least I can still laugh.)

Anyway, I consider my relationship with my wife to be extremely special for many reasons. But it’s also a bit unique in that we realized very early in our relationship what a great friendship we had. So when it blossomed into love, we decided we would always be together and try our hardest to never be apart. For more than 20 years now we’ve lived together, worked together, vacationed together and driven everywhere together. In fact, we only have one car so we have no choice but to be “creative carpoolers”. Over all these years we have only been apart three times overnight and that was only because of emergencies involving our children. I keep thinking she is going to get sick of me, and she should definitely get sick of me, but apparently she never does. So lucky me!

So as I was lying in bed last night considering whether to have a pity party for myself or not, I glanced over at my wife and realized something I had never thought of before. I realized we should call ourselves “Double Vision”. What I mean is…When you have someone to share your ups and downs, the good times and the bad times, the Hawaii vacations and the ambulance rides to the hospital, the birth of a child and the death of a parent, it doubles your view of all aspects of life. So in the good times you have someone to laugh and smile with and in the bad times you have someone to hold and cry with. I have always had a vision of what I wanted my life to look like, I just never realized that it would be so much clearer with “Double Vision”.
The only thing worse than being blind 
is having sight with no vision.
~ Helen Keller 


No comments:

Post a Comment