Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Six Words

What was the best gift you received over the holidays? For me it was a tough question to answer.

First, our company Christmas party was the best we’ve ever had. Even though we were missing one beloved employee who passed away this year, there was still so much love and joy in the room that I didn’t want to leave when it was over. And even though my wife and I gave away really great gifts to each one of our awesome employees, when we left… I felt like we had received the best gift of all!

Second, our youngest daughter hosted a Christmas morning breakfast at her new apartment. She just moved back into town after six years of being away at college. I cooked biscuits and gravy which is a family tradition and we opened presents together. It was absolutely one of the best Christmas mornings ever. Having three out of four children now living nearby is a truly precious gift!

Third, I received some great news from oldest daughter. She is in her third year at Chapman Law School and she just finished acing her finals, making her one of the top ranked students in her class. This is a young woman who is not only leading her law school class; she is also working hard to raise three wonderful children at the same time. I am so proud of her hard work and accomplishments!

Fourth, while my oldest son gave me some great gifts, it was the card he gave me that had the most profound impact. Inside the card he thanked me for being, “the constant role model to me” and those six words really touched my heart. I will save that card and treasure those words forever!



But as I placed that card on my dresser last night, it got me thinking. We don’t just “role model” for our children. If we want to truly honor God in all that we do, then every where we go and with everyone we come in contact with…even in the smallest areas…we have to remember that we are representing Him in our daily lives. I know I fail sometimes, especially in the small areas, and I feel really bad about that. But my long term goal, my biggest hope is that someday when I leave this earth, God will be pleased with my efforts and utter another six words that I so very much long to hear…
 

Well done good and faithful servant.
 ~ Matthew 25:23    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment