Social Icons

Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

The Path Taken

This coming October I get to play baseball on a team that is competing in the MSBL World Series in Phoenix. Since it’s the first time I have ever had the honor of making it onto a World Series team, I know I’m going to need to be in top physical condition. It also made me realize that the reason I never got picked when I was younger because I wasn’t good enough. I am still not good enough, but apparently I have somehow “aged to my ability” so to speak. Anyway, I am excited about it, so besides regular baseball workouts and weight-lifting routines; I made a commitment to start running 4-5 days a week.

I started early this morning jogging three miles on the sand at the beach in front of our little beach house. I hate to admit it…I don’t like running…but being able to run along the beach makes it a little nicer. However, I noticed that running in the deep soft sand is really hard so I try to stay near the water line. But if you get too close to the water your feet start to sink into the wet sand and running becomes harder again. So you have to find the perfect position for your feet along the sand.

On the return leg of my trip I could see the messy footprints where I had slipped in the soft sand and as I looked for the deep footprints where I was too close to the water, they were washed away. In between were the shallow footprints where I had found the perfect place to run and it got me thinking about the different paths I have taken in my life and the people I have met along the way.

As I was finishing my run I thought about how every day I come into contact with dozens of people that share this world. I may see them walking along the beach, or pass by them casually on the sidewalk, or be served by them at a restaurant, or work with them at a business or even share my life and home with them. But one thing is for sure, every single day I get to choose the path I take and I get to choose how I treat the people I meet along that path…so I am beginning to realize I have three choices.

  • If I treat people poorly it’s like the deep sand, which leaves an ugly imprint that takes a long time to smooth out.
  • If I ignore people and fail to care about them it’s like the watery sand, where they are washed away out of my life never to be seen again.
  • But if I take the time to treat people right with patience, humility and kindness…it leaves a lasting imprint!
I remember reading in the Bible that Jesus is like a lamp unto our feet, and a light unto our path. So it seems to me that if He is going to brighten my path, I’d better be willing to do the same for others!

We can’t brighten the world by blowing out everyone else’s candles.
~ Pastor Rick Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment