Social Icons

Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

Appreciate The Moments

It feels like the older we get the faster time goes by. In my 30's the days flew by and in my 40's the weeks flew by. Now that I am in my 50's it seems like months are over before I know it. I'm not sure why that is, so I decided to make it my goal to figure out how to slow time down!

The first thing I did in my research was to make a list of how I spend a typical day. I figure that most of us blow through our days without really thinking...and appreciating...all the things that happen in a typical day. So I decided to break down a day in my life. Here is my Tuesday from last week.

Woke up at 5:24am - Waking up to me is always a nice surprise and way better than the alternative!

Said a Prayer and read the Bible - If the rest of my day goes bad at least I did one thing right!
 
Made Breakfast - I can't cook but I can make an awesome bowl of cereal!

Worked 5 hours at my Desk - Having an office at home means getting to work on time every day!

Jogged on the Beach - Saw Seagulls, Sandpipers and Senior Citizens holding hands as they walked!

Dressed and ate Lunch - Why does everything taste better when it's made by your spouse!

Drove to Office in Irvine - Fighting traffic is never fun but it helps to listen to loud Rock and Roll!

Made a Bank Deposit on the way - Spotted a young needy family on the street corner, gave them some money and a brochure on the South County Outreach which was only a few miles away.

Worked 4 more hours - I love what I do...I must because I've been doing it for 40 years!

Took a Golf Lesson - Costs a lot but maybe I will eventually hit more good shots than bad shots!
 
Went to Practice Range - Apparently besides lessons, you actually have to practice as well!

Met a new Friend for dinner - My wife and I enjoy making new friends and eating Chinese food!

Watched TV & Went to Bed - Laying in bed I spoke to God one more time just to thank Him for the awesome  woman next to me. Without her love and support my life would empty. Just don't tell her that!

My research was helpful because by writing out the events of a typical day, it's easy to see that a lot happens every single day. But do we really appreciate the good things and enjoy the special little moments as they happen?

During my golf lesson last Tuesday my instructor asked me an interesting question. "What do you think about and focus on as you prepare to play a round of golf?" I told him, "I focus on shooting a good score." His response was very enlightening. "Don't focus on the score, focus only on the one shot you are about to make. Clear your mind and think only about the shot at hand. If you do poorly, learn from it. If you do well, appreciate the moment!"  That's good advice about golf....and about life!


You'll have extra time in your day, if you simply stop to appreciate the time at hand.
~ Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment