Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Real Men of Orange County

While The Real Housewives of Orange County (RHOC) reality TV show is a train wreck and really hard not to watch, it got me thinking about The Real Men of Orange County and how lucky we are to be surrounded by some of the best quality “Real Men” around.

Before the first season of the RHOC TV show, tryouts were held in our Coto de Caza community. The ad posted at the local country club and in the hood suggested coming down to audition for a new TV show that would be similar to “Curb Your Enthusiasm” in nature and be taped locally. Maybe due to boredom or local TV excitement in our area, my daughter and I applied, and ended up being picked to shoot a screen test. Afterwards they presented us with a contract to be part of the cast but the contract was complicated and scary – and we held off, mostly because we weren’t really sure what we would be getting in to. In hindsight, I am so glad we chose not to participate!
  
With Father’s Day here, I realized how privileged our OC community is to be filled with some really great role models. I am not referring to well known men, but the men I come in contact with in every day life. I am lucky to be married to a man who goes out of his way to put others before himself, encouraging people to be honest, ethical and faithful. Many of our male friends are loving fathers who are engaged in their children’s lives and working hard to be a part of their family, not just a fringe player to Mom. Our newest neighbor is a single Father with two teenage girls who waved to us this morning as he was cruising by the beach on his Seadoo, followed by his two daughters on their own boats. Not your typical Monday morning, but how fun…a Father taking time off work to spend it bonding with his daughters…guy style.
  
The men in OC work hard and many also strive to be leaders in the community. I have a board meeting tonight with five men who donate their time to our charity, South County Outreach. The men I work with are also great dads, bragging about their kids accomplishments and rushing home to spend quality time with their families. Many of our friends are dedicated to helping each other learn to lead their families in faith and support each other in that journey. I am impressed and grateful that so many of the men in OC are well rounded, striving to be the best they can be.
 
Fortunately I was raised to be confident (RHOC material - Yes), and to make wise decisions (RHOC material - No). And while I am capable of being independent and rocking it, going it alone wouldn’t be my first choice. Even though I love the ladies in my life, I think "The Real Men of OC” are incredible.
 
 
 
 
 
It’s not the men in my life,
it’s the life in my men. 
                  ~ Mae West
 

No comments:

Post a Comment