Social Icons

Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Focus On The Family


We don’t get to choose our families, but remember, they don’t get to choose us either. We can however…. choose how we treat them!

On Saturday my wife and I traveled to San Diego to have some fun and visit a few relatives. Our first stop was to see my wife’s Aunt Clara who is 95 years old. She lives in the same beautiful little house in Point Loma that she has lived in for over 50 years. Her husband died many years ago and sadly, both her children have passed away as well. Clara is sweet and kind and still sharp as a tack. You might say that the only problem with Clara is that she has lost most of her sight….except that I am pretty sure that she was still really happy to “see” us.
 
Later that evening we met more relatives at an Italian Restaurant in San Diego for dinner. These were relatives from my side of the family and they are all people that I love, especially my Uncle Earl who is 85 years old. Earl was a salesman most of his life, yet he was also so much more. He traveled all over the world, hunting, fishing and exploring, meeting interesting people and leading a most interesting life. You could always count on Earl for a great story and a great laugh. You might say that the only problem with Earl is that he has begun to lose his memory…except that I am pretty sure that he “remembered” who I am because he managed to tell some pretty funny stories about my cousins, Gordon, Tommy and I, getting into trouble when we were kids.
 
If there’s one thing I know, it’s that God never intended for us to struggle through life alone. He gave us family for a reason and we have to take care of each other. It’s kind of like taking care of plants. If we treat them right, talk nicely to them, sprinkle a few tears on them once in a while to water them and maybe add in a little manure for laughter, they will grow and flourish. Granted some family members can be a real pain, but the ones that truly love us….need to know that we love them back!

Joe, Tommy, Gordon & Earl

You don’t choose your family. They are God’s gift to you, as you are to them.  
                                                                                                  ~ Desmond Tutu

1 comment: