Social Icons

Pages

Monday, August 3, 2026

Fruit Bearing

We own a rental home in Ladera Ranch, and I recently went there to do a quarterly inspection. I typically just walk around the outside to make sure the sprinklers are working and the plants and flowers are growing. I also check to see if any of the trees need trimming and sure enough, one of them needed trimming in a big way!

Okay, maybe “trimming” isn’t the right term and maybe “in a big way” doesn’t apply either. You see, the problem with this particular tiny little tree was that it wasn’t blooming or bearing fruit, and it never would. Because it was stone cold dead. Lifeless. Kaput. No Mas. Gonezo!

I stood there and looked at that morbid little mess, and it reminded me that not every tree blooms nor does every tree bear fruit. Which then got me thinking about myself. At age 71 am I still blooming? Am I still bearing fruit? Am I still making a positive difference in this world and most importantly am I still striving to honor God in all that I do… each and every day?

Tough question for sure. I know that this past week I’ve screwed up several times. I failed to answer a phone call from my wife one morning because I forgot to turn on my ringer. (Inconsiderate!) I forgot to drop off some clothes at my daughter’s house because they were in the back seat and I was too focused on getting to the golf course. (Self-Centered!) I also cussed out a driver in a Tesla who was driving too slowly. (Impatient!)

So it’s obvious I have still have some work to do if I want to bear fruit. With that in mind, yesterday I helped my neighbor trim a tall tree in his yard. Then I brought flowers and a card home to my wife to show her how much I appreciate her. And even though I spotted a Tesla driver in my neighborhood driving like a maniac, I didn’t give him the finger. I simply said a quick prayer that he didn’t hurt anyone. So I figure overall it was a good fruit bearing day, especially considering I am not dead, lifeless, kaput, no mas, or gonezo... well at least not yet!


The true meaning of life is to plant a tree, under whose shade you do not plan to sit.
~ Nelson Henderson


No comments:

Post a Comment